What Happens If I Do Not File A Response

After you are served with divorce papers, you become Respondent in the case. Generally, after Respondent has been served he/she has 30 days to file a responsive pleading. If a responsive pleading is not timely filed, then Respondent is in default; meaning that the court may decide the case only based on the information that Petitioner has provided in his/her papers and enters a default judgment. Because the court can grant the amount of relief requested by Petitioner in his/her papers in the case of default, it is risky for Respondent not to file a responsive pleading and allowing the matter to proceed by default.

If you have any questions regarding your divorce and/or default or default judgment in California, please contact the Law Offices of Nezam & Associate, your Los Angeles and Orange County divorce attorneys. Matin Vassel, Esq.

Call To Banner