How Should I Serve My Divorce Papers After Filing The Petition For Dissolution Of Marriage In California?

The law requires that you serve your spouse with the divorce papers after you have filed the papers in court to let him/her know that you have started the divorce process. Service may be made by any person not a party to the divorce proceeding who is at least 18 years of age. This means that you cannot give the papers yourself to your spouse. You can have your friend or relative who are at least 18 serve the papers; however; if you want to avoid any dispute and challenge as to the service such as the competence of the server or whether he/she is involved in the case or not, it is always better to use an independent process server in all cases.

Nezam & Associates is a boutique Los Angeles divorce and family law firm serving Los Angeles and Orange counties. If you have any questions regarding your divorce, please contact the Law Offices of Nezam & Associate, your Los Angeles and Orange County divorce attorneys.
Matin Vassel, Esq.

Call To Banner